Sunday, June 4, 2017

Oriole Park At Camden Yards Turns 25

The year was 1992 and during that summer I visited Baltimore, Maryland. It was the month of June to be exact, my uncle who is a Vietnam veteran had received tickets from the VA (Veterans Administration) and along with his son my cousin we were bound for the Charm City. Also attending the game with us was my uncle childhood friend a fellow Vietnam veteran and his son, which to this day is like a cousin to me. Camden Yards opened it's doors April 6, 1992. Sunday June 7, 1992 is when I watched the Toronto Blue Jays take on the Baltimore Orioles. As a 10 year old 5th grader at the time is was amazing entering the stadium. The first time I visited any professional ball park that wasn't Veterans Stadium. Baltimore beat the eventual World Series champion Toronto Blue Jays that day 7-1 as Mike Mussina picked up the win. We had upper deck reserve seating. Starting in 2000 I would begin to frequent the stadium more often. Especially with MLB bring inter league into play. The Phillies would play in Baltimore quite often. I would take Greyhound and make the brief trip down I-95. Many of times I would stay for the 3 game weekend set. Other times I would go down for the Sunday game which was the finale of the 3 game series and retreat back to Philadelphia following the game. I have to get back to Camden Yards, I have not been since 2012. At the time I took in the first two games of a three game series, between Philadelphia and Baltimore. I have always referred to Baltimore as my home away from home.

No comments:

Post a Comment